If you are a soccer fan, than you know there will always be a battle over who is the best soccer player of all time. Of course, names like Pele and Diego Maradona are mentioned when this discussion comes up. There is also the current battle between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, as fans of both claim they are the greatest of all time, but is there any real competition with this one?
It is clear, as Cristiano Ronaldo has proven himself over and over again and he deserves that title. To start, Ronaldo has won the Champions League title three of the last four years. That should be enough to cement his legacy, but people still question if he is the greatest.
To add to that, here are some numbers to think over:
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored over 600 goals for his team and country.
- Ronaldo is the first player with three Champions League hat-tricks in the knockout stage.
- Cristiano is the first player to score hat-tricks in consecutive Champions League knockout games.
- He has scored the most goals in semi-finals (12 in 18 appearances).
- Ronaldo has the most goals in the Champions League (103).
- He also has the most home goals, away goals, knockout stage goals and assists.
- He has the most Championship League goals for each season for the past five seasons.
Lionel Messi who? Cristiano Ronaldo has dominated Europe for the past half-decade, so can he finally take over the official title and can we call him the greatest of all time? Tom Brady may be the greatest of all time for American football, but we may have a new football great on our hands.
The big difference between Ronaldo and Messi: Ronaldo has performed in the big games later in age. Ronaldo is 32 years old and winning championships. Messi did reach three straight finals with Argentina from 2014 to 2016, but he did not win. To be a GOAT, championships matter and that is why Cristiano Ronaldo is the best of the best in soccer.